Of course there is no quick, easy solution (gotcha!) but here are some things you can do to fix up your diet without making any extravagant life changes.
- Cut out caloric drinks. Juices and soda are loaded with calories and cutting them out without changing what you eat can often result in weight loss. If you just love soda and cannot imagine life without it, switch to the zero calorie option. There is no harm in calorie free soft drink.
- Add protein to every meal (as a general guide: 1 palm for women, two palms for men). Protein leaves you feeling fuller longer so you may not feel as inclined to snack between meals.
- Put snacks in a bowl. Instead of just grabbing that bag of chips and heading to the couch, put some chips in a bowl, measuring out the suggested serving size, and put the bag away. This way you are aware of how much you are eating
- Control portion sizes. This one is so important and something I live by. It’s unrealistic to completely cut out higher calorie foods we love (like ice cream). This is when portion control comes in. If you have ice cream every night, don’t eat half a tub. Instead put a couple scoops in a bowl.
- Eat regularly (about every 4 hours). Going too long between meals causes cravings to increase and when we are in this state, its more difficult to make a healthy choice and leads to overeating.
- Drink lots of water. Thirst can often be confused for hunger so try having a glass of water before you eat and make sure you get plenty throughout the day. I recommend a gallon (4 Liters) especially if you are active.
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation often leads to an increase in appetite so make sure you are getting the right amount of sleep.
Hope some of these are useful and can help you along your fitness journey!